Monday, June 8, 2009

Call for Submissions: A heart-related fanzine

Since my heart attack and angioplasty/stents, I've been trying to think of a fannish way to get the word out about heart disease. I was pondering this more over the weekend while I volunteered at a health expo on Saturday, at the WomenHeart booth, handing out brochures and information.

Well, on my way to work this morning, a lightbulb went off. Fans don't want to read brochures, we want to read *fanzines*. So I figured I'd try to solicit as many stories from as many fannish heart patients as I could, put them all together in a one-shot, and distribute it far and wide. Maybe even make a nifty, limited-edition button to give to all the contributors.

The last page would be an "In Memoriam" page, or as one my favorite TV shows, Babylon 5 says, "To absent friends, in memory still bright..." with a list of fans who've passed on from heart disease/heart attacks/etc.

Toward that end, this is a call for contributions for my one-shot, tentatively called A CHANGE OF HEART. Stories, poems, letters of comment, and artwork from fans who've had heart-related illness and/or surgery are welcome. If you yourself aren't the heart patient, but an immediate family member is/was, I'd also be glad to hear from you. Emailed submissions are strongly preferred; please send to laurahcory [at] yah00 -- but if you know someone who doesn't do email, ping me and I'll send you my snail-addy to pass along. And I need names for the "In Memoriam" page.

Deadline for submissions is July 24th. That's more than six weeks out and gives me time to put the thing together and send some copies up to Worldcon.

Permission granted to forward this to other fannish places.

No comments:

Post a Comment